Whole Wheat Banana Cake Recipe – A banana falvoured cake recipe prepared with banana and other classic cake baking ingredients. This soft and tasty banana cake is made with whole wheat or atta to make it healthier. It is a quick, easy recipe. Use extra ripe or over ripe bananas to make it sweeter.
WHOLE WHEAT BANANA CAKE INGREDIENTS
- Butter – ½ cup (113 gm)
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Egg – 1
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Bananas – 1 cup ( 2-4 very ripe peeled & mashed big bananas)
- Hot Milk – ½ cup (120 ml) (Or Water)
- Baking Soda – ½ tsp
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 ½ cups
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE WHEAT BANANA CAKE
- PREPARE OVEN & PAN : Prepare an 8″ round pan or any loaf pan for making the cake. Grease or line, baking pan, bottom with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat oven to 180°C degrees for 7-10 minutes.
- MAKE CAKE BATTER : Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs, then bananas and vanilla. Heat the milk in a pan until warm and dissolve baking soda in hot milk. Add it to mixture and stir to combine. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt, and fold gently into the mixture using a spatula until the flour has disappeared. Make sure to scrape the side and bottom of the bowl while folding and don’t over mix.
- BAKING WHOLE WHEAT BANANA CAKE : Pour batter evenly into the pan. Fill cake pans only about 2/3 full with batter. Smooth top and then tap cake pan several times on counter to eliminate air bubbles from cake batter. Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes (it varies depending on oven), until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes in pan, and then run a knife along the edge of the cake to loosen the sides and turn out completely on wire racks and cool before cutting or frosting.
- DISSOLVING BAKING SODA IN MILK : Dissolving the soda ahead of time in milk allows it to disperse more thoroughly and evenly. Pre-mixing the baking soda (base) into milk (very slightly acid) is to increase the amount of leavening that occurs.
- BAKING SCIENCE : BAKING SODA + BAKING POWDER : Baking soda (bicarbonate of soda), an alkaline substance, is a chemical leavener and it works works best in conjunction with an acidic ingredients like buttermilk or brown sugar or molasses or bananas (usually, bananas become less acidic as they ripen). For every 1 cups of flour, 1 tsp baking powder is required. Recipes generally include baking soda to balance the acidity in the batter. This recipe requires total 1.5 tsp baking powder. Baking soda is roughly 3 times as powerful as baking powder. So 1 tsp baking powder is removed from the recipe to add ½ tsp baking soda. Here baking soda and powder is balanced to get best leavening, browning and softness. More baking soda or powder gives metallic/soapy taste for the cake. Baking soda helps in browning the cake. Baking soda makes cakes and cookies rise and it softens the baked goods and has a browning effect.
- MEASURING TOOLS USED : 240 ml cup, 15 ml tablespoon and 5 ml teaspoon.