Naan, leavened flat bread. Its simple to make, soft and delicious!!!
- Flour – 3 cups (1.5 cup Whole wheat – Atta + 1.5 cup Plain flour – Maida)
- Baking Powder – ¼ tsp (heaped)
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Yogurt – 3 tbsp
- Oil / Ghee / Butter – 2 tbsp
- Yeast – 1 ½ tsp
- Warm water – ¼ cup + ½ cup
METHOD : HOW TO MAKE INDIAN FLAT BREAD (NAAN)
- Mix yeast, sugar and warm water (¼ cup). Keep this mixture for 10 mins till it becomes frothy.
- In a bowl, combine flour with baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Add frothy yeast mix to the flour mix and add ghee / oil / butter and mix it for 1 minute.
- Gradually add yogurt and water ( ½ cup) to form a soft pliable dough. Knead for almost 10 mins.
- Remember to cover the dough with a wet kitchen cloth or clean wet towel.
- Let dough stand for at least 2 hours. Keep the dough in a warm place.
- After about 2 hours dough will double in volume. Knead it once more and punch out the air.
- Make balls and roll thin naans in oval shape. Keep the rolled naans for 2-3 minutes.
- Dip your hands in water and then pick each naan up with wet hands, lightly wetting each side of the dough before laying it on the preheated oven / tawa.
- Direct flame Method – Make, in tawa same like phulka .
- Oven Method – Preheat the oven to 200 degree C and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the tawa / oven and brush with butter.
** Flax seed and Kalonji (Nigella Seeds) – Spread it on the rolled naan and press well with the rolling pin.
**Garlic naan – Mix finely chop or crushed garlic, with oil and little salt and brush on top of naan.