Whole Wheat Pizza is flavourful and delicious, same like plain flour pizza, with soft and chewy pizza crust. Make at home!!
PIZZA BASE DOUGH
- Flour – 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- Yeast – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp (kneading) + 2 tsp (greasing)
- Warm Water – 1 cup + ½ cup
QUICK KETCHUP PIZZA SAUCE
- Tomato Ketchup – 1 cup
- Oregano – 1 tsp
- Basil – ½ tsp
- Garlic Powder – ½ tsp (Or Minced Garlic – 1 tsp) (Optional)
- Chilli Flakes – ½ tsp
- Chilli Powder – ½ tsp (Or Paparika Powder – ½ tsp)
VEGETABLE PIZZA TOPPINGS
- Capsicum – 1 cup (1 medium), optional
- Onion – 1 cup (2 medium), optional
- Tomato – ½ cup (2 medium) , optional
- Olives – 1 cup (16 pitted olives), optional
- Pizza Cheese – 2 cups / 225 g (Or Grated Mozarella Cheese)
- Oregano – 1 tsp , optional
- Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp, optional
- Olive Oil – 4 tbsp (Greasing the pan, brushing the pizza)
- Fine Semolina / Corn Meal – 4 tbsp
CHOICE TOPPINGS (PANEER PIZZA / CHICKEN PIZZA)
- Paneer – 200 gms (Or Chicken 200 Gms)
- Curd – 2tbsp
- Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander – ½ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Cumin – ¼ tsp
- Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
PIZZA RECIPE PREPARATIONS
- Proof Yeast : Mix yeast with ¼ cup of warm water and 2 tsp sugar in a bowl. Cover the bowl and set aside for 10-15 minutes until it dissolves and blooms. Mixture becomes foamy or bubbly and frothy.
- Make Pizza Dough : Whisk together the flours and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and add the yeast mixture and warm water ( 1 and ¼ cup) and knead by adding the oil to the dough, half a tbsp at a time, to get smooth dough. Usually, the kneading process takes about 4-7 minutes in a mixer, 12-15 minutes by hand and 1-5 minutes in a food processor.
- Proof Dough : Grease a large bowl with 2 tsp of olive oil, turn the dough in the oil so that it is evenly coated with the oil, and cover the bowl. Keep for 1 hour to 1.5 hour to double. Depending on the temperature conditions in your place, it can take less or more time for the dough to rise. Deflate and knead the dough for another minute until it makes a smooth dough ball.
- Make Pizza Sauce : In a bowl take tomato ketchup, add oregano, basil, chilli flakes, chilli powder and minced garlic (or garlic powder). Mix until well combined. Keep aside. You can also prepare this in advance and store in a jar and refrigerate.
- Pizza Toppings : Slice onion, capsicum, tomato and olives. You can slice as round cuts as rings or square pieces or as medium long pieces.
- Choice Toppings : Cut paneer (or chicken) into small cubes. Mix together all marinating ingredients with paneer (or chicken) and keep aside for 15 minutes. (Note: 200gm paneer used in this recipe was cut into 48 small cubes.)
- Prepare Pans & Preheat : Choose pans, lightly grease the pizza pan with olive oil and sprinkle with fine semolina. . Preheat oven to 200°C degrees for 7-10 minutes.
MAKE PIZZA AT HOME
- Divide the Dough : Once the dough is doubled, deflate and knead the dough for another minute until it makes a smooth dough ball. On a well-floured (dusted with fine semolina) surface, press the dough, divide and scale dough into 2 or 3 or 4 equal pieces (according to chosen pizza size).
- Make Pizza Base : Shape each piece in to a ball. Flatten the dough ball to a disk, roll the dough out to form a circle, that fits the chosen pan, with ¼” thickness (to make medium-thick crust pizza). Gently, transfer the dough to a prepared pizza pan and shape it again to fit the pan, if needed. Using fingers start making dents around, leaving ½” rim. Make edges a bit thicker than center while forming the crust. Poke holes all over the inside portion of the pizza base, with a fork, to prevent pizza base from developing air bubbles and fluffing up during the baking process.
- Adding Toppings : Brush the prepared pizza base with olive oil, add pizza sauce leaving ½” rim and spread it on the greased pizza base, spread some grated cheese, next top with veggies/paneer/chicken, then spread grated cheese. Drizzle some (1 or 2 tsp) pizza sauce on top and finally, sprinkle chilli flakes and oregano for more taste and flavour. (Note : Divide the topping ingredients to 2 or 3 or 4 equal portions to use in all pizzas)
- Baking Pizza : Bake at 200 degree C for 15-20 minutes, till the base is cooked and cheese completely melts and turns slightly golden brown.
- PIZZA PAN : This recipe makes four 6″ small or three 8″ medium or two 12” large Medium-Thick Crust Pizzas. Divide the dough equally among the available size pans and bake accordingly. This recipe yields approximately 700-720g dough. So for baking medium 8” pizzas, divide and scale dough into 3 equal pieces (approx. 230-240 g each).
- PIZZA TOPPINGS : Veggies are given as optional ingredients to make Vegetable Pizza as per your choice toppings. Use paneer to make Paneer Pizza with selected veggies or choose chicken to make Chicken Pizza. You can completely avoid all toppings and use only cheese if you wish to make Cheese Pizza. Pinch and top pizza with small cheese pieces to make Extra Cheesy Pizza, about another 25-50 gms of cheese.
- FINE SEMOLINA DUSTING : The dust that we see in all restaurant made pizza is fine semolina or corn meal. Fine semolina or corn meal is sprinkled on the bottom of the pizza tray or pizza stone to prevent the pizza dough from sticking to the pizza pan. Same way, sprinkle fine semolina or corn meal on the working surface (or Pizza Peel) to avoid sticking. Compared to corn meal, it is better to use semolina flour as it has a nutty texture and toasts well.
- PIZZA PEEL : It is a baking tool used to easily transfer the wet, sticky dough to the greased and dusted pizza pan or hot baking stone. Tip is to use a cutting board or flat cookie sheet as the working surface, to easily slide and transfer rolled pizza in to the pan. Pizza Peel is also used to retrieve the Pizza after when finished cooking.
- PIZZA STONE / CAST IRON SKILLET : Place Pizza stone on the 2nd lowest or middle rack position in your oven and preheat it at 225 degree C for an hour before placing the dough in the pan. Same way, preheat cast iron pan / skillet for at least 30 minutes at 220 degree C before placing your dough in the pan. This preheating helps in getting crisp bottom crust.
- ITALIAN TOUCH : Brushing with olive oil gives golden brown edges and avoid drying out while cooking. Adding olive oil to the dough gives a crisp crust with tender interior. Sprinkling oregano and chilli flakes gives more flavour and taste like Pizzeria pizza. Olive oil can be substituted with any other vegetable oil.
- PIZZA SAUCE : Small 6” pizzas need about 3-4 tablespoons sauce per pizza. Medium 8” pizzas need about 4-5 tbsp sauce per pizza. Large 12” pizzas need about 7-8 tbsp sauce per pizza.
- PIZZA DOUGH WITH PLAIN FLOUR & WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR : For a taste change, instead of using 3 cups of whole wheat flour, combination of plain flour and whole wheat flour can be used to make Pizza at home with less plain flour. Use organic unbleached plain flour (1 ½ cups) and whole wheat flour (1 ½ cups) and 1 cup + 5 tbsp water to make the dough. Use ¼ cup (4tbsp) water for yeast and add 1 cup + 1 tbsp water more to make the dough. This recipe makes pizzeria or restaurant style pizza at home with whole wheat flour and plain flour combination.
- PIZZA DOUGH WITH PLAIN FLOUR : If you are making Pizza with Plain Flour, use 3 cups of plain flour and 1 cup + 2 tbsp water to make the dough. Use 2 tbsp water for yeast and add 1 cup water more to make the dough.
- SERVING SIZE : Four small pizzas / three medium pizzas / two large pizzas serves 4 people.
- MEASURING TOOLS USED : 240 ml cup, 15 ml tablespoon and 5 ml teaspoon.