Kadala Curry Recipe. Kadala Curry (Chickpeas Curry) is a very popular dish in Kerala, mostly made for breakfast and served with appam (Lacy Pan Cake), idli, dosa and puttu (Steamed Rice Cake with Coconut). It is also served along with Rice, Chapathi or Roti (Indian flatbread).
KERALA KADALA CURRY VARIATIONS
There are different variations of Kadala Curry in Kerala. It is made either with black chickpeas or white chickpeas. Some are gravy based, some are semi-dry and some variations with coconut milk and some with fresh ground coconut based gravy and few with ground roasted coconut masala gravy.
EASY ONE-POT CURRY
This Kadala Curry is a spicy gravy based curry and the recipe uses white or black chickpeas for curry, made with simple ingredients and this is made without coconut. It is very easy to make, requires little effort and the best thing is, it is made in One-Pot, so less clean up too. This curry is made in pressure cooker, a heavy bottom, airtight pot used to cook food under steam pressure.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE KADALA CURRY
Ingredients to make the easy one-pot kadala curry are Chickpeas, Shallots, Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Cumin/Jeera Powder, Pepper Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander leaves, Curry leaves, Coconut Oil, Mustard , Water and Salt.
STEPS TO MAKE THE CURRY
Easy one-pot kadala curry making involves the following steps:
- Soak chickpeas overnight.
- Make Seasoning and saute onion, ginger and garlic and tomato.
- Add spice powders and saute to make the masala.
- Add chickpeas (kadala) and water.
- Cook as per the detailed cooking instructions in the recipe card.
★ We love your Feedback !! Have you tried this One-Pot Kadala Curry Recipe? Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate. You can also follow GuttansFood on Facebook, Instagram to see what’s latest Guttans Kitchen.
Kadala Curry Recipe (One-Pot Chickpeas Curry)
FOR COOKING CHICKPEAS
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 3 cups Water
- Salt as needed
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves, Chopped ( for garnishing)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (Or Vegetable Oil)
- ½ tsp Mustard
- 6-8 pieces Shallots ((Or 1 big onion chopped))
- 1 medium Tomato, chopped
- 10-15 pods Garlic
- 2" piece Ginger, crushed
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin/Jeera Powder
- ½ tsp Pepper Powder
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala
- Soaking Chickpeas : Rinse and soak 1 cup black or white chickpeas (kadala) overnight with enough water.
- Seasoning : Take a pressure cooker, preferably about 3 Ltrs capacity to cook 1 cup chickpeas. Heat coconut oil (coconut oil gives nice flavour) in a pressure cooker over a medium heat. When hot, but not smoking, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Saute for a while, when mustard seeds pops and sizzle, add the sliced shallots/onion. Reduce flame to medium-low and fry the onions until the onions turn golden brown and soft. Add coarsely ground (or finely chopped) ginger, garlic and tomato. Saute till the raw smell goes. It will take about 5-10 minutes to saute the onion, ginger,garlic and tomato.
- Adding Spices : Add chilli powder, coriander powder. turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin(jeera) powder and garam masala to the onion mix and saute for 3-4 minutes. Fry until the mixture turns a dark reddish brown and the spice powders are well roasted and fragrant.
- Pressure Cooking Chickpeas : Add soaked chickpeas, salt and 3 cups water to this mixture. Stir well, bring it to a boil and cover the cooker with the lid. After the first whistle, reduce the heat to medium and cook the chick peas in medium flame for 12-15 minutes or for 5-6 more whistles (Or follow the usual cooking methods, cook until chickpeas is properly done). Turn off the stove.
- Garnishing & Mixing : Keep it in closed position for about 15-20 mins for the chickpeas to absorb flavours and wait until all steam has escaped. Once the pressure settles, open the cooker lid, add coriander leaves, add more salt if needed, mix well and check the gravy consistency. If needed, turn on the stove and cook the curry again in high flame for about 5-10 minutes to get the desired consistency. Serve with appam,dosa, idli or puttu.
♥ Share The Recipe !! Did you try this Easy One-Pot Kadala Curry Recipe? Please share the recipe link on facebook, pinterest and twitter. Mention @guttans or tag #guttansrecipes when you share in Instagram!! Thank you & Happy Cooking!!