Home made, KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) Style, Crispy Fried Chicken!!
- Chicken – 500 gms
- Tomato Ketchup – 1 tbsp
- Soya Sauce – ½ tbsp
- Ginger Powder – ½ tsp (Or Paste – 1 tsp)
- Garlic Powder – ½ tsp (Or Paste – 1 tsp)
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- White Pepper – 1 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Milk – ½ cup
- Egg – ½ egg
- Flour – 1 cup (Wholewheat Flour or Plain Flour)
- Ginger Garlic Powder – ½ tsp
- White Pepper – ½ tsp
- Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Frying Oil – 500-750 ml
- MARINATING : Mix together all marinating ingredients with chicken and keep the chicken in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- PREPARE DIP SAUCE, SEASONED FLOUR MIX & FRYING OIL : Beat the egg and combine with milk in a large bowl and keep aside. Mix flour and whisk in all the spices and in a separate bowl. Take a deep skillet and pour oil in the fryer, heat it in medium-high flame.
- CHICKEN CRUST : Take one piece of marinated chicken, roll the chicken in the seasoned flour until completely covered, dunk in egg dip sauce, and then back into the flour mixture. Gently shake off excess flour. Keep aside the chicken pieces for 8-10 minutes, until each piece has been nicely coated.
- FRYING: Check and make sure the oil is hot enough before dropping the chicken pieces in. Drop the coated chicken pieces, one at a time in hot oil. Fry 4-6 pieces at a time, for 12-15 minutes in medium-high fire, until the chicken turns golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Occasionally stir the pieces for even frying. Once done, transfer to a vessel with paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve and enjoy!
- EGG : As per the recipe, its half egg for 500 g Chicken, but if we are not going to use the left over half, its fine to use one egg as well. But if it’s double recipe (1Kg Chicken), use only 1 egg.
- EGG, MILK, FLOUR COATING : After each piece of chicken is coated twice, let them rest for a few minutes so the crusts can dry out before hitting oil. Egg, milk and flour coating gives a stable crust. Dunking the chicken pieces right after dredging, may cause the coating to fall off. So keeping the chicken for a while, will allow the coating to stick on. Double layer of flour coating gives double layer of crispy, flaky chicken crust.
- CHICKEN : Used skinless chicken in this recipe. Its fine to use chicken with skin as well. Breasts and wings cook faster than legs and thighs. The breast/wings will take 10-12 minutes, depending on their thickness, and thighs and legs will take a few minutes longer.
- OIL : If the oil is not hot enough, or cold, we will get soggy and oily fried chicken pieces. Also, make sure not to overheat the oil as it will fry the outer layer fast and we get under cooked chicken.
- MARINATING : Soaking the chicken in the marinade helps in getting juicy, moist and tender chicken and seasoning spices adds flavour to it.