Oatmeal is healthy and nutritious. Oatmeal Wheat Cookies are delicious, crunchy and soft with whole wheat and quick or instant oats. This recipe makes healthier and soft cookies with a slightly richer flavor, added with raisins or chocolate chips or cranberry.
- Quick Oats (Instant Oats) – 1 ½ cups
- Whole Wheat Flour – ¾ cup (100 grams)
- Brown Sugar, fine – ½ cup to ¾ cup
- Egg – 1 *(or Yoghurt – ¼ cup for eggless version)
- Butter – ½ cup (113 Gms)
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Chocolate Chips – 1 cup **
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Position rack in center of oven. Butter or line cookie sheet with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Whisk together the egg. Stir in Vanilla extract.
- Sift together the dry ingredients, the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in another bowl.
- With a rubber spatula fold the dry ingredients, oats into the wet ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined and moistened. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the batter using slightly mounded tablespoons on to the baking sheet. Bake until lighly brown on the bottom. About 11-20 minutes depending on the oven.
- * EGG SUBSTITUTE : To make eggless oatmeal cookies, substitute 1 egg with ¼ cup yoghurt.
- ** FRUITS AND NUTS : Use chocolate chips or fresh or frozen cranberries or blueberries or chopped walnuts or almond flakes.
- BAKING SODA : Baking soda makes cakes and cookies rise and it softens the baked goods and has a browning effect. Small amount of baking soda in cookies gives a crisp texture.
- MEASURING TOOLS USED : 240 ml cup, 15 ml tablespoon and 5 ml teaspoon.
Oatmeal cookies are healthy and packed full of oats. Cookies are great for snacks and also as a dessert with ice cream or custard or whipped cream topping. Oatmeal cookies have lots of variations. This is adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution. Whole grain seekers will appreciate the natural oats, wheat and the chocolate lovers will love the chips too…