Oatmeal is filling and nutritious. Oatmeal Wheat Muffins are soft, moist and delicious muffins with whole wheat and quick or instant oats. This recipe makes healthier and moist muffins with a slightly richer flavour. There’s nothing better than a simple, wholesome muffin.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup (130 grams)
- Quick Oats (Instant Oats) – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 1 cup (240 ml) plain yogurt
- Brown Sugar, fine – ½ cup (100 grams)
- Egg – 2, lightly beaten *
- Oil – ½ cup (120 ml) sunflower/olive oil
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Chocolate Chips – 1 cup **
- Rolled Oats – ¼ cup
- Soak Oats in yoghurt for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Position rack in center of oven. Butter or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the lightly beaten egg, oil, sugar and vanilla extract. In another large bowl whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients and oats yoghurt mixture into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined and moistened. Gently stir in the chocolate chips. (The batter will be thick.)
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of rolled oats. Place in the oven and bake for about 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin just comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- * EGG SUBSTITUTE : To make egg-less oatmeal muffins, check Whole Wheat Muffins recipe for the egg substitutes.
- ** FRUITS AND NUTS : Use chocolate chips or fresh or frozen cranberries or blueberries or chopped walnuts or almond flakes. Rolled oats can be used to sprinkle on the top of the muffins. If using frozen cranberries / blueberries do not thaw before adding them to the batter. Always toss cranberry or other dry fruits or chips with little flour to avoid it sinking to the bottom while baking.
- QUANTITY : This recipe makes 12 big muffins or 16-18 medium muffins.
- MEASURING TOOLS USED : 240 ml cup, 15 ml tablespoon and 5 ml teaspoon.
Oatmeal Wheat Muffins are lightly sweetened and packed full of oats. Muffins are great for breakfast on the go or as a late-morning snack, and it is filling too. This one has lots of variations – both inside and on top – for different tastes. This is a variation of Whole Wheat Muffins recipe with oats.