Paneer Bread Swirls or Paneer Rolls are made with spiced paneer filling. Swirl burns are savoury, scrumptious and soft. This is a very simple bread dough recipe, mostly used for preparing common buns. It can be also be used to make knotted buns, donuts and even pizza.
- Plain Flour – 1.5 cup
- Yeast – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Italian Seasoning – 1 tsp (optional)
- Warm Water – ½ cup + 1 tbsp
- Paneer – ½ cup (crumbed)
- Tomato Ketchup or Peri Peri Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Capsicum – 1 tbsp (finely chopped). Squeeze out excess water with hands.
- Onion – 1 tbsp (finely chopped). Squeeze out excess water with hands.
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Curry Masala – ½ tsp (optional)
- Cheese – 2 tbsp grated (optional)
- Coriander stalks or Celery – 1 tbsp chopped. Squeeze out excess water with hands.
- Proof Yeast : Mix yeast with one tbsp of warm water and one tbsp sugar in a bowl. Cover the bowl and set aside for 10-15 minutes until it dissolves and blooms. Mixture becomes foamy or bubbly and frothy.
- Make Dough : Whisk together the flour, seasoning and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mix and add the yeast mixture and warm water and knead (2-3 minutes in the mixer or 8-12 minutes by hand) till all the flour comes together into a ball of dough. Add the oil to the dough, half a tbsp at a time, and knead (6-9 minutes in the mixer or 12-18 minutes by hand) to get smooth dough. Usually, the kneading process takes about 8-12 minutes in a mixer, 20-30 minutes by hand and 1-5 minutes in a food processor.
- Proof Dough : Grease a large bowl with a tsp of olive oil, turn the dough in the oil so that it is evenly coated with the oil, and cover the bowl. Keep for 1 hour to 1.5 hour to double. Deflate and knead the dough for another minute until it makes a smooth dough ball.
- Make Paneer Mixture Filling : For making paneer crumbs, take ½ cup paneer cubes in a bowl and pour hot water. Cover and keep for 5 minutes. Strain the paneer and keep it for another 5 minutes in the strainer. Make paneer crumbs using a food chopper or hand. In a bowl, toss all the filling ingredients except tomato ketchup and mix it thoroughly. Set aside.
- Roll Out Dough & Add Filling : On a well-floured surface, roll out the ball into a rectangle. Add a thin layer of tomato ketchup or peri peri sauce. Spread the paneer mixture evenly over it.
- Roll Dough into Log : Brush one edge of the dough with a little bit of water, which will aid in sealing the roll. Roll Dough into a log. Try to keep the sides of the log even as you roll. Press the moistened edge to seal the log. Pinch the seam to seal it well.
- Cut Dough into Rolls or Swirls : Using a sharp knife, cut the log into equal portions of 1¼ ” In well-greased baking tray, place the rolls cut side up. Make sure to leave gap between the rolls, because they will expand while they rest.
- Proof Swirls or Rolls : Loosely cover the rolls with aluminium foil or plastic wrap or keep inside a covered space (can keep inside any covered kitchen cabinet) or oven to proof. Let the rolls rise for about 20-30 minutes and in the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 175 deg C.
- Bake Swirls or Rolls : Bake for about 10-20 mins till top of the rolls turns golden brown. Keep checking it after 10 minutes. All oven temperatures vary and so the cooking time too. Stop the oven once its golden brown colour. Once it’s done, keep in oven for another 5 more minutes.
- Butter Glazing : Take a blob of cold butter and rub it over the top of the freshly baked rolls. This gives the rolls a lovely shine and soft crust.
- PLAIN FLOUR + WHOLE WHEAT VERSION : This swirls can also be made with 1 cup plain flour + ½ cup whole wheat flour. The quantity of water used in the recipe then changes to ½ cup +2 tbsp.
- WHOLE WHEAT VERSION : Rolls can be also be made with whole wheat as in as in Wheat Bread Swirls recipe.
- INGREDIENTS USED : Swirl Buns shown in the picture, is made with paneer crumbs, tomato ketchup, onion, capsicum, coriander stalks, pepper, curry masala, cheese and salt.
- TIME AND QUANTITY : The rolls in this recipe are cooked in top to bottom setting with oven rack in the middle position. Cooking time is 11 minutes (170° C) in Siemens & Bosch Oven and 18 minutes (175° C) in Fagor Oven. All oven temperatures vary and so the cooking time too. This recipe makes 12-15 rolls.
- MEASURING TOOLS USED : 240 ml cup, 15 ml tablespoon and 5 ml teaspoon.
Paneer is a fresh, unsalted white cheese common in Indian cuisine. Paneer is also known as cottage cheese. Swirl buns can be stuffed with anything like cinnamon or garlic or chocolate. Sprinkle or spread grated cheese on top for gooey cheesy bread!
The first time I saw Paneer Rolls, I was amazed (recipe credit goes to my friend, Divya Ratheesh Mathew) to see the pretty swirls with Paneer. Making bread rolls stuffed with paneer and cheese sounded very interesting. This swirl bun recipe is adapted from here. Paneer rolls are great as an appetizer, a starter for parties and gatherings and a tasty roll that compliment any meal.