Kerala Lemon Pickle (Naranga Achar) is a spicy tangy pickle made using lemon (yellow lime) and spices. Yellow Lime Pickle is usually made during Onam or Vishu Sadya. This is very easy and quick lemon pickle that is ready to use within three days.
Lemon Pickle or Naranga Achar is one of the pickles served on banana leaf during traditional Kerala Sadya as a side dish during Onam, Vishu and occasions.
OTHER PICKLES / CONDIMENTS FOR SADYA
There are different types of pickles/condiments in kerala cuisine to serve with sadhya like :
- Inji Puli ( Ginger Tamarind Pickle)
- Naranga Achar (Yellow Lime Pickle)
- Manga Achar (Mango Pickle)
- Vadukapuli Naranga Achar or Naranga Curry (Wild Lemon Pickle)
HOW TO MAKE KERALA LEMON / LIME PICKLE (NARANGA ACHAR)
- Clean, steam and cut the lemon (yellow lime) in to small pieces.
- Make tempering and saute all spice powders.
- Cook lemon (naranga) as per the recipe card instructions.
- Once cooled, store lemon pickle (naranga achar) in a dry glass jar.
- The longer you keep pickles sealed and stored better they taste.
Check recipe card with detailed instruction to know, how to make kerala lemon / lime pickle (naranga achar).
Lemon Pickle (Naranga Achar)
- 10 Small Yellow Lime or lemon (approx. 2 cups cut pieces)
- 1 tbsp Chopped Garlic (or 9-12 cloves)
- 4 tsp Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds (optional) (coarsely ground)
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida Powder (Hing)
- Salt – According to taste (approx 2 ½ to 3 tsp + extra if needed)
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Gingelly Oil (Sesame Oil)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Dried Red Chillies (cut into pieces)
PREPPING TO MAKE NARANGA ACHAR
- Wash all small yellow lime (lemon) and wipe them with a kitchen towel.
- Steam the lemon in a steamer for about 10-15 minutes. Turn off the fire and remove the lemon from the steamer. Keep it aside for cooling.
- Cut the lemon into quarters and then cut each quarter into a half along the length. While cutting, keep or hold the lemon in a plate or bowl to collect the juices.
TEMPERING AND SAUTEING SPICE POWDERS
- Heat gingelly oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dried red chilies, curry leaves and saute for a while.
- Next, add garlic cloves or slices and saute till it is light brown in colour. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and asafoetida powder.
- Saute for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture turns a dark reddish brown and fragrant.
COOKING AND STORING LEMON PICKLE
- Add water, bring to boil, reduce the flame to low and cook till the mixture is thick.
- Add the cut lemon pieces, salt and sugar to this mixture, stir and mix well. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Cover and cook for another 5-10 minutes in low flame. Turn off the flame and keep it covered till it cools.
- Once cooled, store in a glass jar. Keep outside for two to three days for the flavours to set in and then refrigerate the pickle. The longer you keep pickles sealed and stored in a cool, dry place the better they taste. Longer they are allowed to blend in with the spices the more they absorb flavours and taste better.
- STEAMING : Steaming makes the lemon very soft.
- GARLIC CLOVES : Use small cloves from small garlic bulbs or sliced cloves from big bulb.
★ We love your Feedback !! Have you tried this Lemon Pickle Recipe? Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate. You can also follow GuttansFood on Facebook, Instagram to see what’s latest Guttans Kitchen
♥ Share The Recipe !! Please share the recipe link on facebook, pinterest and twitter. Mention @guttans or tag #guttansrecipes when you share in Instagram!! Thank you & Happy Cooking!!
Leave a Reply